Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Color of Wealth

So today's post is about a topic that doesn't necessarily pertain to the Dream Act directly, but more so indirectly... I encountered the following video of the presentation "The Color of Wealth," by Meizhu Lui today in my ethics class that discusses multiple factors that have contributed for the wealth of the United States to become concentrated in the hands of white people. It opens my mind to a great new deal of reasons on why the Dream Act hasn't passed yet, and compels me to push even harder for it happen.... Our nation's past perfectly conceals great discriminatory acts by selling us well-constructed masked lies that bring us to believe that they hold some great level of authority upon us, but this is not the case. We are all humans, all the same species, and we should not allow suppression to inhabit our presence any longer.... EDUCATION is the key.... Read read read.... inform yourselves of the reality of these injustices and don't just sit back and take it..... This applies to any type of discrimination of minorities, and the Dream Act is a perfect example.....

On that note I'll leave you guys to the video (which by the way is a book that I feel compelled to read after watching this presentation and maybe you will too)....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I heard of the Act last year bu never really looked into it, school keeps me busy. I am a Latino in the same boat as the people fighting and I feel I have a lot to contribute to our cause. Please let me know what I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's great people like you that keeps me wanting to help this cause, because I want minorities to have the opportunity to thrive equally! You should really look into the Dream Act even more, there are some links posted in this blog such as Dreamactivist.org that will provide you with ideas of what you can do to help the cause. At this point awareness is key. Spread the word. Tell your friends.. you don't even have to come out to everyone, just educating them about the importance of it will make a difference. If you'd like to partner up with more dreamers email me at dreamactivism@gmail.com, together we can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete